Thursday, October 02, 2008

Witches in Oz are green. I don't know if you knew that.

We had to prep for a video shoot the other day, video that will be shown during the show in dream/nightmare sequences. Video involving the primary actors for the Witch and Aunt Em plus all their covers dressed in full makeup and costume.

Our witch in full green makeup with the hat and cloak strides across the lobby on her way to the shoot and decides to stop at the box office window to inquire about tickets to the Wizard of Oz. When the quick thinking box office kid said they didn't serve witches, she gave him the classic line: “I'll get you, my pretty!” and his friend shot back “well, it is the first time he's ever been called pretty, so thank you for that!”

Then we get to the video shoot at the black box theatre and the video people (not ours, some outside hire...) have brought one screen with them as the back drop and it's green!

Green!

For the Wizard of Oz Witch in full green face makeup!

So now when you look at the camera it works like a blue screen and her face completely disappears. It's a black hat gliding over the screen, which is not the intention.

The the video director's first suggestion was: “Can we change her makeup color, maybe blue?”

Cuz it' only the Wicked Witch of the EMERALD CITY!!!

I know I say this all the time but REALLY? Seriously???

Eventually they decided to shoot really close and photoshop it, which I'm sure will cost extra...

Then I'm quietly sitting at my desk doing work and the wig designer stops by and says “Kaitlyn, you might want to go outside and check out your kids. They look pretty tall...” I go outside and all of our local munchkin kids are milling about waiting for rides and such. And they are TALL! So I run back in and grab their measurement sheets and sure enough, several of them are taller than the adult actors in the show!

Got that? Tall munchkin kids, tall swings... We clearly need a different word than munchkin, something that implies a tall brightly dressed person acting oddly and carrying a lollipop. I'm taking any suggestions.

We had a crew meeting last night and I realized that every single department in this show is dealing with something abnormal for them.

Our Assistant Carpenter is not only in charge of moving scenery but also helps the monkeys and witches fly.
Our Props guy is also in charge of Pyro.
Our Lighting guys have video rigs to deal with.
Our Audio guys are also in charge of the projections of the tornado.
Our Flywoman has to deal with scenery that can't be built without the assistance of chain motors
and Jennifer and I get giant munchkins.

At least no one feels left out.

As of yesterday I have one week before our first dress. I'm starting to get a little nervous...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home