Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rolling in...

We had our 9th show and loaded out for the 5th time in 8 days yesterday. Usually I get in bed as soon as the second truck is packed to make sure to eek out as much sleep as possible before our next load in. However, when we know we have a travel day (or “day off”) the next day, we usually try to keep everyone up until we take off so we can have a beer or two before falling asleep in our seats. Ryan calls this “mandatory fun night.”

I was in reasonable shape and stayed up past 3AM for mandatory fun night and then woke up “early” - which was at 10AM but given our sleep deprivation, we usually sleep long past noon on our “days off.” So I got the ultimate pleasure of sitting in the front lounge by myself this morning for a couple of hours, reading my book, drinking coffee and watching the flat lands and trees of Illinois slide by the windows knowing that I didn't have to do the show tonight.

Delicious.

And when we got to the hotel – all of us looking like homeless kids in our pajamas with bed head crawling out of the bus – I went straight to my room and haven't left since. I took a bath, did my nails and caught up on my sitting around. I'm even opting out of going out for dinner since the weather has taken an ugly turn. When we got here it was about 60 degrees, a far cry from the 20 or below we've experienced all over New York and Ohio for the past week. But then a storm system rolled through and I got this call on my hotel phone:

Front Desk: This is a courtesy call for our guests to let them know that there is a tornado warning for our county for the next couple of hours.

Me: A Tornado? Ok. What would I do in that case?

Front Desk: Um...

Me: I mean, should I do something specific or go somewhere if we get a tornado?

Front Desk: Well, you don't have a room with outside access so you'll probably be ok. You might want to go into your bathroom. I think we have a tornado alarm so that's how you would know.

Me: My bathroom. Got it.

Did you catch all that? You'll “probably” be ok and you “might” want to go into your bathroom when you hear the alarm I “think” we might have. Probably.

I didn't think these were difficult questions.

But I neglected to ask what to do once I got to the bathroom. Not that I would know to go there as there might not be an alarm. I guess I'd have to hope I'd be watching the weather channel when the tornado takes off the roof of the hotel. On the other hand, I don't have any sparkly shoes with me so I'm more likely to acquire a small dog and three good friends than have the hotel dropped on me.

Seriously...

I still have to post about awesomesburg, but it will require pictures to really do it justice. And I didn't take any so I'll cop from other people and post in the next couple of days when I have them.

Until then
xox
k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home