Sunday, January 06, 2008

Got a golden day

In my typical manner I put off everything to the last minute and spent all day yesterday screeching around corners late to various appointments and trying to multi-task. I had social dates for breakfast, lunch, dinner and after dinner drinks as well as dealing with my storage spaces, getting my hair cut, packing, laundry and late christmas present wrapping.

Let's just say it was a very late night...

After 2-ish hours of sleep I got up and went to the airport and sat around waiting for a delayed flight until I realized that there was really no way for me to make my connecting flight in Phoenix. The rescheduling of flights was a medieval process involving several different desks of the same airline in the same small airport, desks that seemed to only vaguely know of each other's existance and surely couldn't be bothered to find out what they did. Ran up and down stairs, resigned myself to the idea that I would not make it to work tomorrow and that my baggage was happily on its way to Phoenix with nowhere else to go and very little hope of making its way back to Tucson before I left town and called my friend Eric who came to pick me up.

I made the requisite 20+ phone calls to all the company members who need to know where I am, rearranged the schedule for my crew since I won't be at load in tomorrow, reassured Jennifer that she would not be loading in two departments all by herself and then the phone calls started to trickle in.

At last count, our stage manager had missed her flight and was trying to get out of NYC. Our assistant carpenter's flight was canceled so he was trying to get on another one. Our Audio head is not showing up tomorrow for reasons I don't know about (presumably flight related), our props head and wigs head were having drinks in a bar because they missed their bus to the hotel after making it to toronto and our flyman is stuck in Denver because of plane issues, waiting for another flight and now looking at a 3AM arrival in toronto and an 8AM work call.

In addition to this madness, we have a new TD who has never loaded the show in before and is now missing half his crew and an audio assistant who has never worked the show and his head won't be there. But both of our electrics guys have made it, as far as I know, so we'll have lights if nothing else.

Ontario? Looking good already...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home