Thursday, June 12, 2008

Welcome Emmett Reed Barrett Johnson

He took forever to be born and after he was 13 days late he still had to be forced out and Bethany was induced. The labor was hard but thankfully brief and he was born 2 minutes after Bethany's birthday on 6/7/08 weighing 9lb 1oz.

These are some of my favorite big sister/little brother shots


I love this sweet look on Pippa's face while the kid screams his head off :) Me and the sleeping baby. How cute is he??
And the baby quilt I made for him. We used a Thai batik textile for the back. Bethany bought it years ago thinking it would make a good back for a quilt...

Any quilters who see these need to go easy on me because I've never made anything like this so i kind of made it up as I went along and it definitely shows!

I quilted around each of the three fish, all the fins etc. and then did a water type pattern around them. And the top was shaded from light to dark.
Weirdly, a lot of the fabrics had water themes - shells, fish, seaweed, turtles... - plus the fish on the back and I was taking classes and getting my open water scuba certification while I worked on the quilt. I didn't realize the connection until later.

It's not perfect, but what is? the kid is pretty adorable though. It's too bad it might be a year before I see him...

I go back to work in a couple weeks so stay tuned for stories that have nothing to do with cooking or kids.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great recap of a month of service and learning! What a great example of a "big sister" for Pippa! Mom

Monday, June 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home