Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Mackers

So we're in rehearsals for my next job, the opera version of MacBeth written by Verdi in the mid 1800's. Can we get further from my last job? No. No, we can't.

And between you and me, I don't really care for opera. Call me a Philistine, but I think it's overdone and melodramatic. plus it's long. And it's always in another language.

So there I am, sitting in a dark theatre, watching people stab themselves and eachother (because there's always a stabbing in opera) while singing in heavy vibrato in Italian and trying to read the subtitles flashed on the curtains above the screen. It's a foreign language film in hell.

And this opera is no exception. Plus it's based on Shakespeare so it's long, convoluted and confusing with dozens of extraneous characters (20+ witches as a sort of Greek chorus).

yeah, good times.

But as always, backstage is better!

Last night was the first run through on stage but not in full costume. It was also our - the dressers - first chance to meet our actors, look at the costumes, try to figure out what we are doing etc., so we're prepared for tonight, the first dress rehearsal. I'm in charge of the female "supers" - the supernumeraries or bit part non singing characters who are filler on stage in any given scene - and most of them are the above mentioned witches. They are all wearing wedding and mourning dresses - half are white and half are black - with veils, and none are happy about it. What else is new, right?

So last night, the women start arriving and here's the conversation:

Woman #1 - So what are we wearing tonight?

Me - You should wear your rehearsal clothes, your veil, petticoat and boots.

Woman #1 - "Oh no. It's hot in here. I'm perimenopausal and I'm getting hot flashes and I hate that veil. Do we have to wear it?"

Me: - "Well, that's what I was told..."

Woman #1 - "I'm going to go check with Carrie (the Wardrobe Head)."

Me: - Ok

Woman #2 enters - "Hi, what do we have to wear tonight?"

Me: - "Your veil, petticoat and boots."

Woman #2 - ""OK, can I ask you about something else?"

Me (warily) - "uh, yes?"

Woman #2 - "The neck on this dress is really high. I'm having hot flashes and I'm afraid I might pass out on stage."

Me: "Hmmm."

Woman: "I don't want to wear those boots tonight, maybe I'll go talk to Carrrie and find out if we can change that dress and maybe do something different tonight."

Enter Woman #3 - "Do we have to wear our veils?"

Me: "Good Lord..."

So after 4 different women tracked down Carrie to ask her about the dress requirements of the evening, they all put on their veils, petticoats and boots and went out on stage.

And then in a break, Carrie found me and handed me one of the veils and said "I pulled this off Lingzee's head as she was going out to have a smoke. Keep an eye on her, would you?"

Sigh.

So it's just me and the smoking menopausal witches, ya'll. For 2 weeks.

Send me your prayers.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, god, I do so enjoy your postings. You may suffer, but I'm cracking up over here. ACTUAL smoking menopausal witches. Outstanding, as our friend used to say.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home